A Vegetarian Diet for Heart Health
Some quick highlights:
"Vegetarian diets boast a number of health benefits, including decreasing your risk of developing metabolic syndrome, which can put you at greater risk for heart disease, diabetes, and stroke"
There are also some great tips on including more veggies in your diet:
- Fill half your plate with vegetables at each meal.
- Try to get about nine servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Substitute nutrient-rich vegetables like leafy greens for nutrient-poor vegetables like potatoes.
- Breakfast: Instead of bacon and eggs, try a bowl of steel-cut oatmeal topped with fresh fruit, or a whole grain English muffin spread with peanut butter.
- Lunch: Instead of a sandwich made with lunch meat, try a hearty vegetable soup and a whole-wheat burrito filled with beans.
- Dinner: Instead of spaghetti and meatballs, try bowtie pasta with roasted garlic and eggplant.
- Snacks and desserts: Get more nutrition into your day with a strawberry smoothie for a midday pick-me-up, or a watermelon blueberry banana split for dessert.