Sunday, September 04, 2011

Chocolate Eclair Cake

This post has nothing to do with pescetarianism, vegetarianism or veganism... it's main target is dessertism. My wonderful husband forwarded me this recipe today while he was at work and asked me to make it. As per my last post, I had planned on a full out cook-and-bake-o-rama for the weekend.  I did the protein / 'power' bars done yesterday (post / review to come), but plans changed, when somehow, late last night, I started not feeling very well; still not really sure what is/was going on with me. As of about 2 pm, though, I felt much improved and told Dan that if wanted to bring home the needed ingredients, that I would make this for him.

I posted the below photo on my personal Facebook page and it received several comments and interest, so I thought I would share the recipe. This originated from one of Dan's co-workers and edited just a bit below for easy of preparation and explanation.   It was really easy to do and very, very good!

Chocolate Eclair Cake

Chocolate Eclair Cake


1 cup water
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup all purposes flour
4 large eggs

2 pkgs (3.4 oz) Vanilla Instant Pudding
4 cups whole milk (to make pudding)
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese (softened)
1 pkg (8 oz) Cool Whip topping

⅓ cup Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (for drizzling - more or less as desired)


Pre-heat over to 400°
Grease a 15x10x1 inch jelly roll pan
Pastry before topping

In a medium sauce pan, bring water and butter to a boil.  Once butter is completely melted, turn heat to low.


Add flour and stir continuously until mixture forms into dough ball.  Remove from heat.  Add eggs, one at a time and mix thoroughly until combined with dough.  Spread dough out evenly on greased pan.  Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.  Pastry will appear lumpy or bubbly. Cool completely.


Close-up of layers
While pastry cools, prepare the pudding as per package directions.  Using an electric hand mixer, beat in the softened cream cheese until completely combined with the pudding.  Spread pudding mixture evenly onto pastry.  Stir the Cool Whip topping and then spread over the pudding.  Finish by drizzling chocolate syrup over the top.


Allow to set / cool for approximately 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.

Enjoy!


(side note:  I'm wondering if this might not be even just a little bit more amazing with French Vanilla pudding, or adding a tiny bit of vanilla extract into the pastry.... hmmm.. maybe next time.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...