Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Roasted Ratatouille & Baked Tilapia


Tonight's dinner was the first that we have included fish.  Nothing too outrageous or risky, but really good.
Again, I started off with a Every Day with Rachael Ray recipe for Grilled Ratatouille but, oh no, we don't have a grill.  I know this is a crime to some people, but its a luxury that we have not yet indulged in since we bought our house two years ago.  Lucky for me, the magazine page for the recipe (as well as the online version linked above), has the following tip:
Roast the vegetables in a 500° oven for 25 minutes instead of grilling them.  Worked out great.  Back to the rest...
I followed the recipe except for the tomatoes and vinegar.  After the Hot & Sour Soup from last week and the over-vinegar flavor, I decided to cut down on it in this recipe and just used a little sprinkle as opposed to two whole tablespoons (Dan appreciated it).  As for the tomatoes, I may have mentioned that I am not a big fan of raw tomatoes, so I decided instead of buying whole tomatoes, I would use a few of the cherry or plum tomatoes that Dan has already in the fridge.  I also used cheater garlic.  Another sin to some, but I am a huge fan of the diced garlic that is available in the jar all ready to go.  Saves me from stinky garlic hands and a bunch of extra work.

Here's how the veggies turned out after the roasting:
I think this dish would also work well for meat-eaters.  Serve with, or even, toss in, a little boneless skinless chicken and you're good to go for a meaty alternative.   I think this would also be great with a steak or even a pork chop.  Ok, the veggie dish is all around great and can go with anything. Leave out the olives and vinegar if you would like too (Dan didn't care for the olives; he thought it broke up the awesome flavors of the vegetables).

As for the fish, these were frozen tilapia fillets that I had picked up at Sam's Club a couple weeks ago and we had in the freezer.  Let them thaw overnight, drizzled with a little olive oil and sprinkled with lemon pepper.  Baked at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes and that was it.  I need to work on some other options for future fish.  These tilapia fillets are great because they aren't too expensive and they are easy to cook up quick - oven or stove-top.

I did come across a little surprise tonight in one of the bell peppers.  Some interesting little internal, conjoined, double twins.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...